Sunday, January 23, 2022

National Handwriting Day, January 23rd

On this Sunday winter morning, as I usually do for holidays relating to communication or personal skills, I searched online for some interesting facts to share about Handwriting Day. I looked for a striking image or inspiring article of some kind, and then I came across a website with a few words that leaped out at me.



First of all, a tiny bit of history about today's observance: On Sunday, January 23rd, the Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association will honor the 45th anniversary of National Handwriting Day. The designated day recognizing the art of handwriting was established in 1977 on the birthday of America's famous scribe, John Hancock. Source: PR Newswire


From there, I clicked over to the Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association website and found this paragraph I thought may inspire you too. Doesn't it make you just want to stop the world, dig out a beautiful pen and a blank journal? I feel like clearing my schedule for today just to go write! "Handwriting is a true art form and one of the few ways we can uniquely express ourselves. There's something poetic about grasping a writing instrument and feeling it hit the paper as your thoughts flow through your fingers and pour into words."


The post went on to encourage us to tap into our own talents and express words through action: "This year, we suggest you take advantage of National Handwriting Day on January 23 and use a pen or a pencil to rekindle that creative feeling through a handwritten note, poem, letter or journal entry." While I agree with tapping into your inner thoughts on this day, there's no reason you can't incorporate more writing into your life, at any time or place, right? One of my phrases of the year (I tried to pick a word again, but couldn't decide on one as they kept morphing into phrases), is "branch out", meaning to try alternate angles of approach; attempt different solutions and to stop doing things in the same exact manner. I've actually applied this concept to my January already, writing each day, even if just for a few minutes.....and you know what? I'm learning when you practice an activity frequently, you improve and develop more rapidly (that bit of advice about writing daily does indeed seem to be true).


Reading the paragraph above made me realize (again), how much of an opportunity for self-expression the act of writing is. From one-liners to poems, blog posts to professional articles, or even simple sayings or brief statements of encouragement, making the time for yourself to seek out a quiet space, a delightful pen and unlimited fresh, blank pages, can be extremely therapeutic and beneficial. Try it today!



I hope you become inspired to tap into a piece of your soul and unlock new talents. Thanks for stopping by and reading, and I wish you a lovely Sunday afternoon. 


Sincerely, 
Andrea Baumann




 
Growth strategies for small business & nonprofits; community-centered
resource serving the Delmarva Peninsula (DE/MD/VA). Connect with us!