Monday, December 17, 2018

"What I learned after 13 years at Darrenkamp’s Markets"

The following was posted on Facebook as the independent grocery store chain Darrenkamp's Markets made a heart-breaking decision to close their stores. While doing a bit of research on the company (and mourning the loss of yet another family-owned business), I came across this Facebook post by one of their employees. The heartfelt and honest sentiments struck me as powerful words we may all take something away from and thus I wanted to share it here. Credit is 100% to Quint Eno, and while I have not received a response to my inquiry about sharing this, it was a public post so I’m assuming he does not mind. Thank you sir, for your inspiring words.




What I learned after 13 years at Darrenkamp’s Markets:


I learned the meaning and power of service. I learned that a simple hello, a hand shake, eye contact, a smile, and even a hug can break down barriers and forge long lasting relationships. I learned that giving back is necessary and essential to happiness. I learned that what goes around comes around. That when you go above and beyond what is expected you will be rewarded.

I learned the value of hard work. I learned that a strong work ethic will take you far and provide you great opportunities. That when you work hard for someone, they’ll work hard for you.


I learned the importance of authenticity, humility, and integrity. I learned to “practice what you preach.” To be the example. That no one is above any task. That if you don’t know, say you don’t know, but you better be sure to figure it out, or find someone who can. The importance of following through. That when you mess up, fess up. That honesty is, in fact, the best policy. That when you genuinely care for someone great change can be made.


I also learned that it’s important to continue to grow. To continue to learn, change, evolve. To avoid the comfort zone. To seek challenges, even if you fail. I also learned that doing so is hard, very hard. That no one is perfect. That we will always be an unfinished product. And that sometimes our strengths can also be our weakness.


I will always be grateful for my time at Darrenkamp’s. I will always be grateful for the Darrenkamp family, the coworkers who became friends, and for the customers we served who became friends. I will always be grateful because Darrenkamp’s helped shape me.


In the most sincere way, thank you…for everything.


“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” [2 Corinthians 4:18]

















Connect with me! Follow Marketing Delmarva @